Business Coursework Gcse 2013 Calendar
Studying business is important as we all come into contact with businesses every day - when we buy things, use goods and services, or even just observe adverts. The vast majority of us have to work for some kind of organisation. Businesses have been in the news more than ever in recent years, with the increasing popularity of television programmes such as The Apprentice, the economic downturn creating hardships for many companies, and the government seeking to promote an enterprise agenda within schools.
The business subjects on offer to Heart of England students will enable them to understand how organisations work, what influences their decisions, and help them to prepare for the world of work.
Syllabuses (Course Outline and Structure)
In Year 10 and 11 there are presently two AQA GCSE courses on offer:
GCSE Business Studies
There are two units examined by written papers.
- Unit 1 – Setting up a Business – written exam 1 hour – 40% of marks
- Unit 2 – Growing as a Business – written exam 1 hr – 35% of marks
- Unit 3 – Investigating Businesses – controlled assessment – 25% of marks
GCSE Business and Communication Systems
- Unit 8 – ICT Systems in Business – written exam 1 hour – 40% of marks
- Unit 9 - Using ICT in Business – computer based exam 1 ½ hour – 35% of marks
- Unit 10 – Investigating ICT in Business – controlled assessment – 25% of marks
In addition, some Year 11 students are completing an Edexcel BTEC qualification in Business. The course is divided into a number of units, those offered include enterprise, starting a small business, communication, marketing, customer relations, sales, finance and logistics.
Students complete controlled assessments which account for 80% of their overall grade and an online exam which accounts for 20% of their overall grade.
Complementary Subject Combinations and Enrichment Activities
Students develop a range of skills through studying Business. Successful Business students will have a good grasp of Maths in order to complete the finance units, there will also be links with ICT and Media Studies.
Schemes of Work
The best subject resources are those that have been created for students by their teachers. These are located in:
- L:/Business/KS4 (only available in school or by remote login)
Students can also use the following website:
Past papers are available from the AQA website:
For more information please contact Lisa Ferguson
Key Dates Calendar
Please note that the information contained within our 2017/18 Key Dates Calendar is only applicable to UK centres
The Exams Office is the only organisation producing online tools previously supplied by the Department for Education. We have further developed these tools to meet the needs of the Exams Officer community.
The Key Dates Calendar tool enables exams office staff to search, customise and manage a personalised key dates calendar. The toolcan be accessed by clicking the image at the bottom of this page.
Once you have selected the exams series, qualifications and awarding body information you require, you will be presented with your results which can be exported and personalised to print your own calendar. Alternatively you can download an excel spreadsheet which lists all the key dates (see below).
How to use guide
There are a few simple guidelines to using the Key Dates Calendar which you should note before searching for information.
- Allow a couple of seconds for the Key Dates Calendar to load onto your screen
- You can search by any or all of: Date/Awarding Body or Origin/Qualification/Exam Series (please note that BTEC registration dates and grade reporting dates have no series, therefore the series has been left blank, and that Pearson's Functional Skills are available every month so the series is listed as the month and year.)
- Simply click within each selection field and a drop-down menu will appear containing the options available
- Select as many options from each drop-down menu as you require by simply clicking within a selection field
- To remove a selection, click the 'X' next to the selection you wish to remove
- You also have the option to clear all selections from a drop-down menu by clicking the 'X' directly outside the selection field
- To place your selections in date order, click the arrow next to 'Date'
- To select qualifications other than GCSE/GCE/BTEC/Cambridge Nationals or AQA (All), select 'Other' export your selection then filter under "Qual further info"
- There are 4 options to view your selections - Print from the webpage, PDF copy, CSV or Excel files
- Once you select one of the options to print or save your selections, you will be automatically directed to print or save your file
We recommend that you use Firefox, Safari (if using an Apple Mac) or Edge when accessing the Key Dates Calendar.
You wish to view OCR and Pearson GCSE and GCE dates for summer 2018, select:
- Date - No selection required
- Awarding Body/Origin - OCR and Pearson
- Qualifications - GCSE, GCE
- Series - Summer 2018
- Date - No selection required
- Awarding Body/Origin -Pearson
- Qualifications - Other
- Series - No selection required
Export your selection and filter on "Qual further info" = Functional Skills
Qualifications included within the Key Dates Calendar
Qualification information from the following organisations is included within the Key Dates Calendar:
- Cambridge International Examinations
Please note the following:
- All awarding bodies - The information within our Key Dates Calendar and spreadsheet has been presented as received from the awarding bodies and the JCQ.
- AQA - Where qualifications are listed as 'All (AQA)', this denotes that the deadline listed applies to all AQA qualifications available within that series.
- Pearson/Edexcel - BTEC registration dates and grade reporting dates have no series, therefore the series has been left blank.
- Pearson/Edexcel - Pearson's Functional Skills are available every month so the series is listed as the month and year.
Our Key Dates Calendar tool is being upgraded in readiness for the move to our new website
An Excel spreadsheet, a mirror of the current tool, containing all the 2017/18 key dates provided by the contributing awarding bodies is still available to use/download by clicking on the icon below. As with any spreadsheet, information can be sorted, filtered etc. as required
(Please ensure that you have read all of the above before using the Key Dates Calendar information)
All of our online tools use the latest software, so please ensure that your internet browser has been updated in the last 12 months in order to access the full functionality of the Key Dates Calendar
The Exams Office takes no responsibility for any outcomes in schools/colleges as a result of the information provided on our website or within our documentation. It is the responsibility of schools/colleges to apply this information as they deem necessary within their own centre. You should always contact/refer to the relevant awarding body for the most accurate and up-to-date information regarding their qualifications.